By Ish Stabosz
Center for Creative Instruction & Technology
Delaware Technical Community College
Stanton Campus

Not long ago, Stacey Pounsberry shared this post, in which she discusses three different pieces of presentation software, among them Haiku Deck. If you haven’t actually seen a Haiku Deck in action, here are two related to education that I came across recently:

What is a Flipped Class?

Googlizing Your Classroom

They might not answer all of your questions, but they should both give you some good ideas while also showing off some of the neat features of Haiku Deck.

Also, if the title of this post got your hopes up, here’s a real haiku for you:

Well-thought lesson plans,
Engaging activities—
And yet, they don’t learn.

Get creative! Leave a comment to share your own education-inspired haikus. It’s easy. Just three lines: 5 syllables, 7 syllables, 5 syllables.

2 comments

1. Missy Wanstall (@Missy_Wanstall)4 years ago

I have found Haiku Deck to be a great alternative to wordy powerpoints. Plus, it can be embedded directly in Blackboard. Below are two Haiku’s that I’ve made and used in the classroom; the students seem to really like them. The images capture the attention of the visual learners, there is still enough text to allow readers and writers to engage and feel like they have structure, and I elaborate on each point which helps the auditory learners.

This presentation on conformity started as a bunch of boring bullet points in powerpoint. Now each image has meaning. http://www.haikudeck.com/conformity-education-presentation-m9vzCl4KaY.

This is a presentation on note-taking. This started as a text-heavy two page document, and I converted it to a finished Haiku Deck in less than half an hour. http://www.haikudeck.com/note-taking-education-presentation-vfwejWoaiI.

1. Ish Stabosz4 years ago

Thanks for sharing, Missy. I like that you point out the effectiveness of images over bullet points in communicating meaning. I’m still waiting for your haiku, though. 🙂