Wednesday Words of Wisdom

This week’s words of wisdom come from John McDowell in the Biology and Chemistry department at the Stanton Campus:

Moving to a full-time instructional job teaching a number of students at once required that I look for ways to keep students engaged. It also required getting to know students quickly and building a positive class environment with a connection between myself and the class, and the students with one another. I took time to observe how other faculty were successful in doing this and realized things I could borrow.

In searching for succinct activity points, I found an article from Inside Higher Ed that gives good advice on how to engage with students. Many of these points are described in the First 60 Minutes suggestions on the CCIT page, but give a little extra rationale.

I now incorporate most of these activities early and often in courses, and have seen a marked improvement in the group dynamics.

If you have your own wisdom to share, just fill out the form below.

[googleapps domain=”docs” dir=”forms/d/1fBbzqcQsg_Me4J_GU8zeJnTikhAIinYTa-02KeQ4TxU/viewform” query=”embedded=true” width=”760″ height=”1500″ /]