By Ish Stabosz
Center for Creative Instruction & Technology
Delaware Technical Community College
Stanton Campus

“Being a great professor is an art and a science,” says Karl Kapp in the introduction video to his latest course offering on lynda.com.

You might recognize Kapp’s name from some of my previous posts. He’s the author of The Gamification of Learning and Instruction, a book that sparked much of the thinking that went into my English 102 Zombie Survival Game, and his keynote speech at the 2015 RECAP conference at West Chester University taught me to look at games in a whole new way–eventually inspiring my most popular blog post to date.

So, when I got wind of Kapp’s newest course on Lynda called Core Strategies for Teaching in Higher Ed, I was immediately interested. Kapp’s course promises techniques that he’s honed during his almost 20 year career as a college professor. Some of the topics to be covered include understanding your students, teaching a love of learning, grading fairly, developing critical thinking skills, continually improving your teaching, and adapting to a changing environment.

Check out the course introduction video here. If that gets you interested, you can view some of the other materials for free by clicking on the “Chapters” heading.

And, if you’re interested in viewing the entire course, but you don’t have a lynda.com account, they offer a 10-day free trial. The course provides 2 hours of material, easily viewable within the free trial period.

In fact, with 10 days, you’ll probably have enough time to check out Kapp’s Gamification of Learning course as well!