Distance Education Courses with Proctored Exams
The use of proctored exams may require substantial resources from the college and students. For this reason, proctored exams should be administered only when necessary and should not be the sole method of assessing student learning. Therefore, if an academic program deems proctored exams necessary, a rationale and justification will need to be submitted to and approved by the Department Chairs and the DOI.
For courses in which proctored exams have been approved, CCIT will assist with the course design process to ensure that secondary authentication techniques and best practices in assessment of student learning as described in the Distance Education Curriculum Guidelines are employed.
An overview of Examity®
How to Setup Online Proctoring for Your Students
Contact your campus CCIT department to get started. Examity® must link the course before you can create any tests in Examity®.
- CCIT needs the CRNs of the courses for which online proctoring will be required and the level of proctoring required (Level 1: Auto-Proctoring, Level 2:Record and Review Proctoring, or Level 3: Live Proctoring).
- Attend a training session. Training will be conducted either by CCIT, Examity®, or a combination of both.
- Turn on the Examity® tool in D2L and create the link in your course menu.
- Create the Exams in Examity® and provide all details for the student. (Note: Examity® must create the Single Sign On link before your create any exams)
Students must be given the option of taking the proctored exams in an approved testing center (either a Delaware Tech campus testing center or one approved by the instructor) or via the College’s supported online proctoring service (e.g., Examity®).
- The delivery method of the exam, test rules and level of authentication/monitoring must be the same for students taking the exam in a testing center or through the College’s supported online proctoring service. Note: the online proctoring service does not support paper and pencil tests.
- If the academic department requires proctored testing for specific exams in a distance education course, every distance education section of that course will be required to use proctored testing for those specific exams.
- Courses requiring proctored testing will have a special note in Self-Serve Banner stating the following: “Proctored testing required. Students may use any Delaware Tech testing center at no additional charge. Additional fees may apply for virtual proctoring or testing at another location.”
- In each distance education course that requires proctored tests, students will be notified in writing by the first day of class: (1) the test proctoring requirements, (2) the number of proctored exams and length of each exam, (3) the date ranges to take the exams, (4) the approximate cost of each exam if using the online proctoring service, (5) minimum technology requirements for taking exams, and (6) the approval process to request a non-Delaware Tech testing center. *Note these guidelines may be revised as technology options develop.
Examity® System Requirements
- Desktop computer or laptop (not tablet)
- Webcam and microphone (built-in or external) – test your webcam at www.testmycam.com
- Connection to network with sufficient internet speed: at least 2 Mbps download speed and 2 Mbps upload – test internet speed at www.speedtest.net
- Operating systems: Windows XP or newer, Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) – or newer
- Browser with pop-up blocker disabled: Google Chrome v39 or later, Mozilla Firefox v34 or later, Internet Explorer v8 or later, Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari v6 or later
If you have any questions or concerns, contact Examity’s technical support team 24/7 via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at (855)-392-6489.
The Cost for Using Examity®
Level 1 (Auto)
$9 for 1st hour
$3 per additional hour
Level 2 (Record and Review)
$12 for 1st hour
$5 per additional hour
Level 3 (Live)
$15 for 1st hour
$7 per additional hour
Costs subject to change