Skype for Business 2016
The college has moved from Lync 2010 to Skype for Business 2016 as our instant message client for staff and faculty. Lync 2010 will no longer be installed on any of the college computers. Please use the steps below for finding Skype for Business and, if needed, adding shortcuts to various locations.
Finding Skype for Business
1) Click the (start menu) button on your desktop, and click All Programs.
2) Skype for Business should show up in the top half of the program list, and will have “Skype” icon to the left of it’s name (not a folder icon). Click the program name to open it.
Signing into Skype for Business
Skype may automatically sign you in when you open it up, but if it doesn’t please perform the following steps.
1) Enter your DTCC email address into the Sign-in address section of Skype, and click the sign-in button.
2) A new section for the password will appear below the sign-in address. Enter the same DTCC password that you use for the college computers and e-mail. Use the checkbox below the password box to decide whether you want Skype to save your login password or not. Then click Sign In again.
3) You may be prompted by Skype to save your login information and sign in automatically in the future (click Yes or No based on your personal preference). You should now be logged in to Skype for Business.
Signing in to Skype for Business
If you would like to make sure that Skype for Business 2016 opens up automatically when you log in to your computer, you can click the small gear icon in the top right of the Skype window. Locate and find “Tools” from the drop down menu. Select “Options” from the next drop down to open the Skype for Business – Options panel.
Then select the Personal settings on the left hand side of the new window. You will want to make sure that “Automatically start the app when I log on to Windows” and “Start the app in the foreground” are both checked to allow Skype for Business to open up and display on your desktop each time that you log on to your computer.
Adding a Desktop Shortcut for Skype for Business
To add a shortcut for Skype for Business 2016 to your desktop, first find Skype for Business in the Start Menu program list (All Programs).
1) You can click and drag Skype for Business 2016 from the Start Menu to your desktop. Doing so will create a shortcut to Skype on your desktop.
2) Alternatively, after finding Skype for Business 2016 in the Start Menu program list, you can right click on it, select “Send to”, and select “Desktop (create shortcut).
Pinning Skype for Business to your Start Menu
If desired, Skype can be pinned to your Start Menu for quick access, as shown below.
To do this, first go into the start menu, and find Skype for Business 2016. Then right click on the program name, and select “Pin to Start Menu”, as shown below.
Skype for Business 2016 should now show up at the top of your start menu whenever it is opened.
Pinning Skype for Business to your Task Bar
If desired, an icon for Skype for Business 2016 can be placed at the bottom of your desktop, in the Task Bar, as shown below.
To do this, access the Start Menu, find Skype for Business 2016 in the program list (by clicking All Programs), and right click it. Then click “Pin to Task bar” as shown below.
Skype should now show up in the bar at the bottom of your desktop.